- Use high factor sunblock on holiday and in hot weather
- Factor 25
- Reapply frequently
- Come back from holiday with minimal tan
- Remember that clothing and hats are more protective than sunblock
- Beware though, you can sunburn through thin clothing
- Avoid midday sun go into the shade
- If you need to be outdoors do it before 11am or after 3pm
Melanoma is the most dangerous type of skin cancer. The cancerous growths develop when unrepaired DNA damage to skin cells triggers mutations . This then lead the skin cells to multiply rapidly and form malignant tumors.
ABCDEF signs for Melanoma
Regular visual inspection is important for moles. Look for the ABCDEF signs of melanoma, and if you see one or more of the ABCDEF signs then make an appointment with a dermatologist immediately.
Asymmetry - one half different from other half.
Colour black - or 4 shades of colour.
Diameter > 6mm - particularly for a new mole.
Enlarging rapidly - weeks/months rather than years.
Funny mole - different from other moles on your body.
Regular visual inspection is important for moles. If you are concerned about your mole, please arrange a consultation.